Osteoarthritis/arthritis of joints is second only to heart disease in causing disability in patients. Arthritis affects more than 50-60% of the population above 55 yrs of age. In INDIAN population knee is the most commonly affected it. As it has complex motion pattern and large weight-bearing surfaces.

Symptoms of arthritis are the pain, swelling, difficulty in carrying out daily activities, night pain.


(Anatomically knee consist of 3 compartments medial(inner), lateral(outer), and patellofemoral (kneecap). Arthritis is slowly advancing disease of cartilage in which wear and tear of joints start from usually from the inner compartment and if untreated progress to rest of 2 compartments.

Traditionally arthritis pain is treated with non-surgically with medicines, physio..and surgically. Although Total knee replacement is an excellent option for pts. With severe end-stage arthritis.

Patients with limited or early osteoarthritis i.e. limited to just one compartment of the knee, are good candidates for PARTIAL KNEE REPLACEMENT.

What is partial knee replacement?

Partial knee replacement( UNI/OXFORD) is a good option for pts. with the affection of one compartment.

In partial knee replacement only damaged cartilage is replaced with metal and plastic i.e. only 30% is resurfaced and remaining 70% normal cartilage is left untouched.


Advantages of partial knee replacement Surgery

In comparison with total knee it has Quicker recovery, Less pain after surgery, Less blood loss, Small cuts and marks on body, Better motion in knee, Natural feeling after surgery Better performance of the patient.

Recent multicenter studies found that (oxford) partial knee has

2.7 times more likely to be satisfied than TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY pts, with the ability to perform daily activities of daily living.

1.8 times more likely to report that their knee felt normal as compared to TKR.


In specialises hand, the partial knee has very less complication rate as compared to TKR…

Comparison of TKR V/S PARTIAL KNEE